BYLAWS OF THE KUSP COMMUNITY ADVISORY BOARD
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this body shall be the KUSP Community Advisory Board (CAB).
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
As a link with KUSP’s listening community, the CAB provides the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation Board of Directors and KUSP management with advice, information, and feedback on such matters as programming, community outreach and strategic planning. The CAB is charged by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting with the responsibility of, from time to time, reviewing the programming goals established by KUSP, reviewing the overall service provided by KUSP, and reviewing the significant policy decisions made by KUSP, and providing recommendations based on those reviews to the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation Board of Directors.
ARTICLE III. AUTHORITY
The CAB serves in an advisory capacity; decisions are the responsibility of the Board of Directors and the KUSP management team. The CAB shall at all times operate in a manner consistent with the portions of Title 47, Section 396 of the U.S. Code relating to public broadcasting advisory boards and the compliance and certification procedures for advisory boards adopted by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
ARTICLE IV. MEMBERSHIP
Section A. Composition
1. The CAB shall consist of between ten and twenty-four individual members who reside in the KUSP broadcast service area and are, to the extent possible, broadly representative of the potential listening audience for KUSP and able to advise the Board of Directors and management with respect to whether the programming and other policies of KUSP are meeting the educational and cultural needs of the communities served by the station.
2. The members of the CAB shall be appointed by the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation Board of Directors.
3. The Board of Directors shall also appoint one or more of its members to serve as its liaison to the CAB. The KUSP General Manager, or his or her designee, shall attend all meetings of the CAB and provide the CAB with such organizational and staff support as may be necessary for the CAB to fulfill its purpose.
4. CAB members meeting the criteria for membership in the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation shall be admitted to Foundation membership and be entitled to the rights and privileges of membership specified in the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation bylaws.
5. Paid employees of ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation and members of the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation Board of Directors shall not serve as members of the CAB.
6. Members of the CAB shall comply with the ‘Pataphysical Broadcasting Foundation policies regarding conflicts of interest.
Section B. Tenure
1. Members of the CAB shall be appointed to two-year terms and may be reappointed. On its own motion, the members of the CAB serving at the time these bylaws are adopted may select approximately half of the membership to serve one-year terms, so as to provide for appointment of approximately half of the CAB by the Board of Directors each year.
2. In the event of a vacancy on the CAB, the Board of Directors may appoint a replacement member to fill the unexpired portion of the member’s term.
Section C. Officers
The presiding officer of the CAB will rotate among the membership; at each meeting, the CAB will select a member to preside at the next meeting.
Section D. Attendance
Members are encouraged to attend all regular and special meetings of the CAB. The Board of Directors will be advised when members miss two consecutive meetings held in their region of the KUSP service area.
Section E. Dismissal
The Board of Directors, by majority vote, may dismiss a member of the CAB before the completion of his or her term (a) if the member misses two consecutive meetings held in their region of the KUSP service area without satisfactory explanation; (b) if the member relocates out of the KUSP service area; or (c) for cause, i.e. when a member’s actions establish sufficient and compelling reasons for dismissal in the sole determination of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE V: MEETINGS AND NOTICE
Section A. Meetings
1. All meetings of the CAB are open to the public.
2. The annual meeting of the CAB will take place in September of every year. At the annual meeting the schedule of regular meetings for the next twelve months will be adopted. Including the annual meeting, the CAB will schedule and hold a minimum of four regular meetings every year. In order to maximize the ability of community members and CAB members to participate, the location of regular meetings will rotate among various communities in the KUSP service area.
3. Special meetings of the CAB may be called, with a minimum of two weeks’ notice, by the CAB’s presiding officer on his or her own motion, at the request of the President of the Board of Directors or the KUSP General Manager, or by petition of one-fourth of the CAB membership.
4. The CAB may meet without having a quorum at a regular or special meeting, but official action, including submission of a report or other formal recommendation, requires a quorum consisting of a simple majority of the CAB membership. Official action may be taken without the physical presence of a quorum, including telephonic meetings and electronic mail.
Section B. Meeting notice and official communications
1. The presiding officer of the CAB shall develop an agenda for each meeting of the CAB in collaboration with the KUSP General Manager and the CAB Liaison of the Board of Directors. The agenda shall be provided to the members of the CAB, the KUSP staff and Board of Directors at least one week prior to the meeting.
2. KUSP staff shall ensure that the times and locations of regular or special meetings of the CAB are broadcast on KUSP and published on the KUSP website (kusp.org) at least one week prior to the meeting.
3. The CAB shall provide an approved copy of the minutes of CAB meetings to the Secretary of the Board of Directors (or his or her designee) within 30 days of approval of the minutes by the CAB.
4. The CAB may on its own motion provide advisory reports and other communications to the Board of Directors and/or the KUSP management team as it deems appropriate.
5. The KUSP website shall provide a means for members of the public to communicate with the CAB.
ARTICLE VI: AMENDMENT
Amendments to these bylaws may be proposed by the CAB, the Board of Directors, or the KUSP General Manager. The Board of Directors shall seek the advice of the CAB on any amendments to these bylaws. Changes to these bylaws shall be approved by a majority of the members of the Board of Directors present and voting on the question.